East Africa Resident

Kibogora made this Access to Information request to Rwanda Directorate General of Immigration and Emigration

This request has been closed to new correspondence. Contact us if you think it should be reopened.

The request was successful.

Dear Rwanda Directorate General of Immigration and Emigration,

I would like to ask for the following information under Law no 04/2013 of 08/02/2013 relating to access to information.

I really need to know some information for someone from East Africa member states who work and live Rwanda, Does he needs to obtain work permit if He/She is not expatriate but works as simple employee ?

Yours faithfully,


CCC Officer, Rwanda Directorate General of Immigration and Emigration

Dear Kibogora,
He/She needs the permit, but it is issued free of charge to all Citizen
from EAC member states.
Generally all foreigners residing or working in Rwanda are required to
have residence/work permit appropriate to what he/she is doing. 
Sent from Samsung Mobile

show quoted sections

Dear CCC Officer,

Thanks Sobanukirwa team,

For your quick response is there any penalty for a person from East Africa Community member states work and live who hasn't issued a work permit for a certain period of time.If there any penalty in monetary term it can be how much?

Yours sincerely,


Communication and Customer care Office, Rwanda Directorate General of Immigration and Emigration

Yes, there is a penalty imposed not only to EAC Citizen but to any non-national working or residing in Rwanda without a permit. Not only those without permit, but also those who overstay or involve in activities contrary to what the permit issued authorize them to do.

show quoted sections